Bird Collars for Severe Feather Pluckers
Severe Feather Pluckers are mostly bald, but have no open lesions. These birds fervently pluck feathers as they grow in. They have developed an obsessive habit and they require behavior modification and other strategies to manage their habit.
Supplies for Severe Feather Plucking Parrots:
The bird clearly is uncomfortable. Management efforts should concentrate on preventing the problem from worsening:
- Collaborate with your Avian Vet
- Provide a sturdy bird collar designed for zealous pluckers and train bird to tolerate it.
- Offer bird calming supplements as needed.
- Bathe regularly and care for irritated skin.
- Consider environmental and parrot husbandry stressors that aggravate the problem.
- Learn behavior modification strategies to reward behaviors that you'd like to see more of and decrease feather plucking in parrots. Please see The Feather Destructive Behavior Workbook for help.
Bird Collar Barriers are an important part of solving feather plucking in parrots.