One of the best bird care habits to develop is daily misting. Don't worry that your bird will get chilled unless it is ill. Birds can be taught to enjoy misting.
Consider this. Your bird is actually from a tropical location and it's skin and feathers rely on daily showers. Those showers have several benefits:
#1: CHOOSING THE MISTER BOTTLE: You'll definitely want to use a quality bottle with a mist function. If you wish to use tap water, make sure to use a brand new spray bottle that has never been filled with chemicals. A continuous spray bottle may be helpful for some birds or if your hands are compromised.
#2: CONVINCING YOUR BIRD: Some birds are resistant to being sprayed, but it's easy to train them to look forward to the daily spritz! If you've used the stream function to punish your bird in the past, you'll have to double down on your "fun factor" efforts. Either way, grab your clicker and treats, and let's get started!
1. Approach bird misting with a fun, lively attitude. Make training a game. Speak in a lively voice and act like this is a super-fun experience. It won't be long until your bird looks forward to a daily bath,
2. Point the nozzle up and over the bird versus a direct spray to the side of the body. This will allow the droplets to land gently on the bird. Treat the bird for allowing the mist.
3. Reward again each time your bird begins fluffing up its feathers so that the moisture gets on every feather. Again, reward as your bird lifts its wings allowing cleansing in this sensitive area.
4. Progress toward ensuring that all areas are sprayed and cleaned, including feet and the preening gland that is above the tail. Think of the area that is right above your butt crack. A lot of hand-fed birds don't know where their preening gland is so this will help them know.
5. Start off slow, with just a few pumps to the bottle and reward frequently. Keep the whole thing very animated.
In no time, you'll have developed an essential parrot husbandry habit that is goof for your bird, good for your own respiratory health and minimizes dander in the home.
Comments will be approved before showing up.