Bird Collars for Moderate Feather Plucking Parrots
Moderate Feather Pluckers have some bald spots, but no open lesions. These birds zealously pluck in one or more areas, but are not totally bald. The affected areas may or may not have follicle damage. Moderate feather plucking parrots are at risk of having the problem worsen.
Supplies for Moderate Feather Plucking Parrots:
The bird is uncomfortable and should be followed by an avian veterinarian to rule out a contributing medical disorder. Management efforts should concentrate on the following:
- Provide a bird collar that is sturdy enough for zealous pluckers and train bird to tolerate it.
- Offer bird calming supplements as needed
- Bathe and care for irritated skin
- Insure that the bird has a premium diet including bird vitamins and feather growth supplements
- Learn behavior modification strategies to reward behaviors that you'd like to see more of and decrease feather plucking in parrots. Please see The Feather Destructive Behavior Workbook for help.
Bird Collar Barriers are an important part of solving feather plucking in parrots.